Python install failing. Install log is available.

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri May 21 10:25:22 EDT 2021

On 5/21/21 4:21 AM, jan via Python-list wrote:
> OK, but
>
> 1. should the installer work for administrator + all users or not?
>
> 2. if not, should the installer work for me (a non-admin) and install
> python correctly and successfully for my account if I run it in my
> account, not the admin?

It should, and for many, it does.

An ordinary install, not "for all users", defaults to your own
AppData\Local\Programs\Python  - the pattern you see in your
Administrator install. So you don't seem to have installed that one for
all users.

I don't think you want to do a user-install using the administrator
account. If you tell it to add to PATH, I believe it adds to the user
variables in this case, so other accounts won't see that.  The Python
launcher should help with this part of the problem, as Terry said, but
only if other users are able to work with things installed in admin's
account-local locations.

An install for all users will drop it into someplace different - by
default at the top of the drive, so e.g. C:\Python39.