Writers [Was: Re: Standarize TOML?]

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Tue May 18 09:23:56 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-18, Michael F. Stemper <mstemper at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 18.48, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> I disagree.  Rehashing *opinions* is pretty useless. The issues were
>> already discussed on
>> https://discuss.python.org/t/adopting-recommending-a-toml-parser/4068
>>
>> There are multiple packages.  There is no consensus on which to pick,
>> *if any*. Existing modules apparently include writers, which are
>> necessarily opinionated (as is formatting of C, Python, html, ...).  As
>> I just noted in the discussion, the stdlib does not have an html writer.
>
> If I'm parsing this correctly, python supports something called a
> "writer", which does not mean "somebody who writes python".

You are not parsing it correctly. Terry means that at least some
existing TOML modules for Python include facilities for outputting
("writing") TOML as well as reading it, and this makes choosing
between those modules more controversial as there are more subjective
opinions involved in the implementation of writing TOML as opposed to
only reading it.