Writers [Was: Re: Standarize TOML?]

Michael F. Stemper mstemper at gmail.com
Tue May 18 09:13:04 EDT 2021

On 17/05/2021 18.48, Terry Reedy wrote:

> I disagree.  Rehashing *opinions* is pretty useless. The issues were
> already discussed on
> https://discuss.python.org/t/adopting-recommending-a-toml-parser/4068
>
> There are multiple packages.  There is no consensus on which to pick,
> *if any*. Existing modules apparently include writers, which are
> necessarily opinionated (as is formatting of C, Python, html, ...).  As
> I just noted in the discussion, the stdlib does not have an html writer.

If I'm parsing this correctly, python supports something called a
"writer", which does not mean "somebody who writes python".

Since I've never heard of this[1], I searched on:
   python writer
but got stuff about how to write python and how to use python to write
to files.

Assuming that there is a python construct called a writer, could
somebody point me to somewhere that I could read up on them?

[1] Well, I've used csv.DictWriter() which might be an instance.
--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28