Proposal: Disconnect comp.lang.python from python-list

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Thu May 6 10:07:24 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-06, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you saying that the messages that appear occasionally from people
>> such as Ethan Furman claiming to be moderators and alleging that
>> particular people have been banned or suspended are lies? And that the
>> message I received once saying that my comp.lang.python post had been
>> rejected from the list was also a lie?
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't recall accusing you of lying,

Neither do I. Nor do I remember accusing you of accusing me of lying.
Try reading the quoted paragraph above again, since you apparently
misread it the first time.

> My issue was that we seem to disagree with the definition of
> "moderation." Earlier in this thread it was suggested that
> comp.lang.python.moderated be created and that some as-yet-unnamed
> moderators would vet every single message to that group.

I am not aware that anyone has suggested anything remotely like that.

> Yes, Ethan is one of three listed admins of the list. I wouldn't have
> mentioned him by name, but you did. (I suppose his role common
> knowledge anyway.)

Well, yes, if he wanted it to be secret he presumably would not have
made formal announcements describing himself as a moderator in public
on the list.