Proposal: Disconnect comp.lang.python from python-list

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Thu May 6 08:57:04 EDT 2021

> Are you unaware that the group is already gatewayed to a moderated
> mailing list for which all of that work is already done?

What is this moderation of which you speak? I'm one of the Python
postmasters (I maintain the SpamBayes setup) and am aware of a
multi-part tool chain (black hole lists, SpamBayes, greylisting, etc),
but not of human moderation on a grand scale, just of the relatively
few posts which are held for the admins/moderators by SpamBayes. My
definition of "moderation" is that a human vets every post. That's
certainly not the case for python-list at python.org. Posts gated from
comp.lang.python to the mailing list only get passed through
SpamBayes. All other elements of the tool chain occur ahead of the
gateway.

If we are using two different definitions of "moderation" I think it
is important to be clear what we mean.

Skip