Proposal: Disconnect comp.lang.python from python-list

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Thu May 6 06:12:39 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-06, Richard Damon <Richard at Damon-Family.org> wrote:
> On 5/5/21 10:44 PM, Jon Ribbens via Python-list wrote:
>> On 2021-05-06, Richard Damon <Richard at Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>>> As someone with a long usenet background, converting the existing group
>>> to moderated would be practically impossible. It just isn't done. It
>>> would need to be a new group created with the .moderated tag. The
>>> problem is that some servers won't change and getting things mixed like
>>> that just creates propagation problems, so it just isn't done.
>> As someone with a longer usenet background, it can be done, and there
>> isn't any great reason not to do so in this case. But I did already
>> suggest creating a new moderated group instead if people feel that's
>> better.
>
> Not so sure you are longer than me, I started on usenet is the late 80s
> with dial up.

Yes, me too ;-)

>> Are you unaware that the group is already gatewayed to a moderated
>> mailing list for which all of that work is already done? The only
>> difference is that currently that good work is then wasted and thrown
>> away from the point of view of the group participants.
>
> The big difference is that the mailing list directly gets its email from
> the senders, and that was totally over SMTP so some From: verification
> is possible, thus it make sense to let email addresses be validated for
> whitelisting. Submissions from the moderated group have lost all
> traceability to the original sender when it get forwarded via the NNTP
> transportation link, so such a white list might not be as viable, and on
> usenet many people intentionally post without valid From addresses, so a
> LOT more messages will end up in the moderation queue, so more work for
> the moderators.

I think you're fundamentally missing the point that the newsgroup is
*already gatewayed to the mailing list*. Marking the group moderated
will not result in any more work for the moderators. In fact what you
say above is the opposite of the truth, as it will result in the link
between the poster and the moderators becoming more direct, not less
direct.