python documentation

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 15:50:48 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-27, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2021-03-27 17:03, python at blackward.eu wrote:
>> You write, that "Everyone claims that it's easier to move to some other
>> language rather than to migrate to Python 3".
>>
>> Thank you for sharing this remarkable information!
>
> You've quoted him partially and incorrectly. He said "Everyone
> claims that it's easier to move to <some other language> rather than
> to migrate to Python 3, and I'm calling people's bluffs now."
>
> The point is that there are those who use Python 2 and don't want to
> move to Python 3, claiming that it's easier to switch from Python 2
> to some other language than from Python 2 to Python 3. That's what
> seems questionable.

That questionable to the point of being laughable.

I've ported a fair number of apps from Python2 to Python3. Many of
them played pretty fast and loose with py2 strings vs. raw bytes vs.
Unicode.  That causes as many 2->3 porting problems as anything can,
and it was still far, far easier to port from py2->py3 than it would
have been to port from py2 to any of the couple dozen other langauges
I've used in my career.

Though I still somtimes pine for the fixed length integer types that
were lost in the py1.5->py2 transition...

--
Grant