python documentation

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Sat Mar 27 16:44:38 EDT 2021

What are the odds, Chris, that rewriting an existing project written in an
older version of a language like python FROM SCRATCH into any other existing
language, would be easier than updating it to the same language which made
fairly specific changes and has some guidelines how to update?

True, if you have programmers already knowing the other language handy,
fine.

But as I study other languages, I keep finding things they often do
invisibly in the compiler or interpreter that make me wonder why anyone
thinks they can write one program that reads them all as if with a magic
ring. Some features make translations far from straightforward, not that
they cannot be done, but some thought is needed and maybe a change is
aspects of how the darn thing is built.

What you are expressing is the fact that the longer we encourage people to
keep using the old, the more painful it is to move forward with the new. At
some point, so many changes may accumulate, that catching up may not be
worth doing.

Any nontrivial program that uses many packages and modules will not find
identical things in a new target language, for example. Some nice concise
ways some things are done may work differently elsewhere and need to be
redesigned completely or lead to lots of errors.

Now if the case was being made to switch to a more recent advanced language,
maybe. But the languages he suggested strike me as fairly ancient, even if
they too have been evolving.

As you note, he is free to do what he wishes but not free to force others to
help him when it is not in their interest.