python documentation

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 23:44:15 EDT 2021

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM <python at blackward.eu> wrote:

> No, I am not encouraging, I am just offering the possibility.
>
> Python and its community once was not dogmatic. At least this was my
> impression when I started - after all Python originally had been
> designed to be multi paradigmatic. This spirit of freedom was one mayor
> reason for Python to grow so fast - from my POV.
>
> But freedom is constituted by freedom of choice.
>
> It might be a good thing to recommend people to switch to Python 3.*, it
> might be a bad idea to FORCE people to do so by taking away the
> possibility to install Python 2.7.*; some people tend to react badly
> when infantilised.

Why do you install 2.7.18? Isn't it a bad idea to FORCE people onto
that particular version, instead of letting them run 2.7.9 or 2.7.1 if
they choose? Does it infringe on their freedoms by offering only one
version?

If people want a specific version, they can get it. There's no reason
to promote the use of outdated versions.

> If I am right, the Python 2.7.* installers still are provided on the
> python.org website. So long as this is done, I cannot see a reason not
> to list a 'distribution' using Python 2.7.* in said list, right?

You have a pre-1.0 distribution of an end-of-life version of Python
that works on a very specific platform. That's fine. But there's no
reason to have it promoted anywhere.

> By the way, there is more, Blythooon offers beyond what I already have
> written in the last email. Otherwise please name me another comparable
> MINIMAL 'distribution', which is compiled specifically for scientific
> FRONTend development? In terms of diversity I also cannot see, why
> Blythooon MUST have something special to be listed? Is it not enough,
> that it is another one?

Nope, not enough for it to be promoted. The page you linked to
originally is a very short list of only those which are notable enough
to be worth promoting. And from what I'm seeing, yours isn't.

Move to Python 3 and leave the old version behind. It has been a year
since Python 2 received any updates at all, and over a decade since
2.7 was originally released. Isn't it time it was finally permitted to
rest in peace?

ChrisA