Application problems

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Mar 10 15:50:22 EST 2021

On 3/10/21 12:25 PM, Yoosuf Oluwatosin via Python-list wrote:

> I have downloaded python 3.9.2 on my hp laptop with windows 10 and tried opening both the normal python and the idle python on my pc but the norml keeps opening the modify, repair and uninstall page while the idle keeps giving a startup error. I have uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled several times but it is still the same thing. What could be the problem.

For the first one, don't feel too bad, this ("opening the normal
python") seems to be biting a lot of people recently - the downloaded
file is the installer, not Python itself, and you can remove it after
installing to avoid accidentally launching it (there's some discussion
of renaming it to make it a little more clear it's not Python itself).
You can always still get at the modify/repair functionality the normal
windows way, from the apps menu.

Try launching Python from the start menu. You can either navigate to the
start menu item, or start typing Python and it should give you a match
that looks like

Python 3.8 (64-bit)   App

Or from a shell (cmd or Powershell) window, type

py

More information here:

https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html

there are actually a fair number of permutations to Python on Windows,
the page does a good job of covering them.