tkinter: tksheet

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 04:34:49 EDT 2021

On 17/06/2021 00:15, Rich Shepard wrote:

> When I view my contacts table it needs to includes attributes from the
> company, people, and contacts tables so I can view all prior contacts with
> that person.

Sounds like a job for a database view.
Can you modify the database schema? Could you create a
view - even a temporary one just while your app is running?

Alternatively, and I've done this trick myself, create an
in-memory SqlLite database with a table that holds all the
columns you want then fetch the data from the master and
manipulate/view it from Sqlite - this makes sorting by
different columns fast and simple.

The downside is you have to refresh it periodically or
you will miss all changes in the master.

> Many years ago I used wxPython. For several reasons I decided to learn and
> use tkinter from now one. One reason is that the application for my clients
> will run mostly on windows hosts and I want to limit the software they need
> to install and maintain in order to run it.

Sure, that's the main reason I use tkinter too.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site