tkinter: tksheet

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 16 19:15:42 EDT 2021

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Alan Gauld via Python-list wrote:

> But there is nothing I know of for Tkinter that provides views of database
> tables in the way that Delphi or VB or C# do, for example.

Alan,

These are all Microsoft tools. I run linux only.

> You have to extract the data using SQL and populate the table and manage
> all changes (of both view and data) yourself.

>From an incomplete reading of the tksheet() doc it looks to be the best way
to display tables returned by a SQL query. PyQt5 has a QTableView() that
does the job, and it works great for a single table, but apparently not so
well with complex joins on multiple tables.

When I view my contacts table it needs to includes attributes from the
company, people, and contacts tables so I can view all prior contacts with
that person.

> If you do a lot of that kind of desktop apps then you could look at Dabo
> which is built on wxPython but has links to databases. Unfortunately it
> looks like work ground to a halt about 5 years ago.

Many years ago I used wxPython. For several reasons I decided to learn and
use tkinter from now one. One reason is that the application for my clients
will run mostly on windows hosts and I want to limit the software they need
to install and maintain in order to run it.

Regards,

Rich