How to check if an image contains an element I am searchig for

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 02:49:40 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 4:43 PM Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think that XKCD may be a little out of date.
>>
>> It's not out of date. The task still requires a lot of effort - it's
>> just that the effort is now "preparing a suitable corpus" rather than
>> "figuring out how on earth to do this". Even with all the tools at our
>> disposal, there's still a stark (and often surprising) distinction
>> between the easy and the hard.
>

> Well...  Are you sure?
>
> It's no longer a problem that requires 5 years and a research team.

That's because the research years have been done for that particular case.

> It's now a problem that requires hunting for relevant labeled data, and failing that, paying a small team of unskilled laborers minimum wage to classify images from google images or similar.  Plus some programming to create the model and to use it in production.
>
> Deep Learning is catching on, in significant part, because lots of useful data is becoming available.  Also because hardware is getting faster and the algorithms have improved.
>
> Clearly some things are harder than others, but the "hard" example given in the XKCD is no longer really a good example.

I don't think it's a bad example. We needed hindsight to be able to
figure that out - see the hover text. And it's still much MUCH harder
to say "is this thing in this person's hand a gun?" than to say "is
this light on?".

But as we've seen from all the various voice-command assistants, the
difficulty of doing a good job doesn't stop people from doing a bad
job...

"Close Spotify." // "Okay. Opening Spotify."

ChrisA