How to check if an image contains an element I am searchig for

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:29:38 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 7:25 AM Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:07:59 +1000, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
> declaimed the following:
>

> >How well can you define the things you're looking for?
> >
> >https://xkcd.com/1425/
>
>         Non sequitur comment -- Sounds like a potential usage of a BeagleBone
> AI with the TI Deep Learning modules... though I don't think they've
> documented how to go from the example learning images to teaching it to
> recognize birds <G>

Yeah. We have the tools for high-grade AI now, but.... ultimately,
teaching an AI to recognize birds requires someone spending quite a
few hours going through photos of birds and drawing boxes around them.
"That's a bird. That's a bird. That's a bird. That's not a bird, it's
a plane. That's a bird. That's a bird. That's not a bird, it's
Superman."

>         Won't help the OP unless it can be taught to recognize vehicles and
> somehow provide coordinates to let the OP "blank out" said vehicles.
>
>         Edge detection might provide some hints -- but simple "same color
> pixels" won't -- as the roads may have different colors (concrete vs
> asphalt vs gravel vs dirt -- and then you get asphalt/tar patches applied
> to pot-holes and cracks in concrete). Also, as in that photo, many of the
> vehicles are near enough to the road color that any range used to ensure
> picking up variations in the road will pick up the vehicles.

Yup. Image processing is hard. Having seen what people can do with
various tools, I can only conclude that (a) the tools are magic, and
(b) the job is STILL a big one, even with magical tools.

ChrisA