Php vs Python gui (tkinter...) for small remote database app

Menno Holscher mennoholscher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 06:51:06 EDT 2021

Op 14-06-2021 om 21:17 schreef Pascal B via Python-list:
> Hi,
> I would like to know if for a small app for instance that requires a connection to a remote server database if php is more suitable than Python mainly regarding security.
> Php requires one port for http and one port for the connection to the database open. If using Python with a tkinter gui, I understand a small app can connect to a database so only one port to the database would need to be accessed/open listening to connection. So I would need to worry less
about security if using Python over Php for something small, like a small
python app that I give over to users.

> Am I missing something in this assertion?

There is no difference regarding security concerns.

In the case of a PHP (or any web app for that matter) you indeed have to
worry about the security of the connection to the browser. But, e.g. the
access to the database is only in one place, on the server. If you use a
Tkinter application, each user will have the access to the database at
his/her own machine, causing other worries than connection security. The
attack vector may be different, but the worries are no less or more in
one of the solutions.

First investigate what you need to be afraid of/worried about, do not
make a decision on a simple criterion like the number of connections.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards

Menno Hölscher