Terminology: EU language skills, and Master to Main (or ...)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 04:27:26 EDT 2021

On 13/06/2021 04:21, dn via Python-list wrote:

> What do you think a professionally-recognisable series of skill-levels
> for programmers?

This has been done or attempted many times, with perhaps the most
complete scheme being the British Computer Society's
"Industry Standard Model" which breaks jobs/skills in the industry
into many categories(30 or so?) and within each category there
are up to 6 levels of achievement. (Some skills don't have
the lowest levels(e.g. architect) while some only have lower
levels. The theory being a level 6 practitioner in and skill
is equally "good" as a level 6 in any other skill. One of
the skills is programming, and significantly, it is language independent.

I don't know if the ISM is still in use, it is many years
since I worked with the BCS as the training officer for our
office. But there used to be a comprehensive set of web pages
describing the requirements for each level for each skill.
A quick search for BCS ISM didn't throw up a link, sorry.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site