How to debug python + curses? [was: RE: Applying winpdb_reborn]

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Jun 7 19:39:40 EDT 2021

On 6/2/21 7:24 PM, pjfarley3 at earthlink.net wrote:
> [...]

Not trying to answer the question, just commenting:

it's gotten a lot better in the Python world the last few years, as
people have realized that like it or not, most users are actually on
Windows.

BUT, the ML/Big Data world isn't quite the same. It's new and people are
developing at a rapid rate and Windows just seems to get in the way
(again avoiding speculating since I don't work in that world) and those
things often are heavily tilted to a Linux bias.  Or if you can't do
that, WSL.  So the bias you mention is arising again in a new way.

curses is its own story - that's what kicked off this thread.  It was a
UNIX thing well before there was a Windows at all (1970s, "I was there",
but not in any way a contributor), and just wasn't built to the WIndows
programming paradigm, why would it be?  Of course people have tried to
fill that void over the years, with some success, but as has been seen
from details in this thread it just doesn't seem to be that important
even to those folks and seems to be dying on the vine again.