Searching pypi.org, is there an 'advanced search'?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Jul 18 04:15:18 EDT 2021

Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 1:03:21 PM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
> > Every time I go to pypi.org to look for a neat utility or something I
> > curse the stupid search.
> >
> > Is there really no better search available? Apart from anything else
> > it appears to OR the elements together so, for example, I wanted to
> > search for programs/libraries that will allow me to access Google
> > Contacts:-
> >
> > Putting the words Google and Contacts in the search box produces
> > more than 10000 hits.
> >
> > Putting just Google in the search box produces 8,629 projects.
> >
> > So, it would appear the terms are OR'ed together, surely OR'ing terms
> > in a search (by default) went out with the ark!
> >
> > When I put 'Google contacts' in the search box I want projects that
> > have both 'Google' AND 'Contacts' in their description somewhere!
> > (... and, no, I tried 'Google AND Contacts', still more than 10000
> > results).
> >
> > pypi.org is a wonderful resource but its size now demands a better
> > search engine.
> >

> As this is an open source project I'm looking forward to the huge amount
> of work that you personally will be putting in to remedy this situation.
> In summary put up or shut up :)

I'm quite happy to help, however I was just asking (maybe rather more
agressively than I should have done) if I was missing something
obvious.  E.g. is there some syntax that I don't know about that I can
use in the search box, or maybe I should use an external search engine?

... and Open Source doesn't mean one can't criticise surely, rather
the opposite! :-)   (I have, by the way, contributed in a minor way to
quite a few open source projects over the years, and that's a lot of
years!  I even have a small credit in the 'bible' for the Kermit file
transfer protocol, remember that?)

--
Chris Green
·