IDE tools to debug in Python?

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Wed Jan 27 14:27:54 EST 2021

On 27.01.2021 20:07, C W wrote:
> I'm not expert in Python, but I sure tried many IDEs to kick off Python
> programming.
>
> I started with PyCharm, but I had a problem with it constantly scanning the
> background, even after I turned that feature off.
>
> My favorite (I'm using now) is VS Code with Python extension, it's very
> light. Recently also started background scanning, but that's generally done
> in 30 seconds.

There's also Wing IDE (Pro). The best is to try at least PyCharm and
Wing IDE (Pro) and maybe one or more of the others.

Besides the debugger experience from the 90's please note that stepping
through a program is not the most valuable feature of the Python debuggers:
Python is an interactive language. You can develop a lot while working
on a Python console. Then copy and paste into a program.

Especially for hardware control, network programming and GUI development
I find that the most valuable feature of Python.
(Maybe you have used Forth in the 90s as well, then you will know this
feature.)

The better debuggers have a built-in console.
See here for a screenshot of Wing's debug console exploring GUI code:
http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/docs/_images/Calculator_Debugger.png

Regards,

Dietmar