Issues with running python in Command prompt

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 10:33:40 EST 2021

On 1/19/21 10:40 PM, Mladen Gogala via Python-list wrote:
> I generally advise
> using Cygwin and installing the Cygwin version of Python. Your OS will
> look like a POSIX compatible system, and you will be able to use Unix/
> Linux tools like bash, less. vi, awk, grep and alike. You will also be
> able to use "/" as a directory separator which is really helpful when it
> comes to regular expressions.

I've used cygwin for many years.  I would not use cygin if I were the
OP.  This is probably for more advanced users with particular needs.  I
recommend sticking to the official windows version of Python, and
following the detailed instructions on the web page Mats Wichmann
referred to.

You can use escape characters in regular expression on any platform
Python runs on.  Python has a whole host of features to deal with the
directory separator differences on Windows vs everybody else.