Issues with running python in Command prompt

Mladen Gogala mgogala at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 00:40:16 EST 2021

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 19:00:06 +0330, mohsen shooshtari wrote:

> hello,
> Thanks in advance for your consideration. I install python3.8 and then
> install Pycharm but when I call python in Command prompt, followed by (
> 'python'
> is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program
> or batch file.
>
> what should I do to fix this problem?

Make sure that OS recognizes it as a command. That usually means putting
the directory where your Python resides into the path. I generally advise
using Cygwin and installing the Cygwin version of Python. Your OS will
look like a POSIX compatible system, and you will be able to use Unix/
Linux tools like bash, less. vi, awk, grep and alike. You will also be
able to use "/" as a directory separator which is really helpful when it
comes to regular expressions.
Another option is to install Ubuntu on top of your Windows 10. I am no
fan of Ubuntu but it's still much better than Windows. All scripting
languages (PHP, Perl, Python, Go and JavaScript to mention only the most
popular ones) are all written with Linux/Unix in mind. There are Windows
ports but using the Linux or Cygwin version is typically much easier and
more natural.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant