Application window geometry specifier

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:39:49 EST 2021

Chris,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:12 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 1:05 PM Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Chris,

> > > Yes, association is correct.
> > >
> > > "I was working with Application A. Now I'm working with Application B.
> > > And it behaves very weirdly."
> > >
> > > It's entirely possible that App A was the bad one, and unfortunately,
> > > that does happen. But this is exactly why it's better to follow the
> > > standards. Unless you are so egotistical that you think your users
> > > won't need *any* other applications in their lives, follow the
> > > standards.
> >
> > And you still don't say anything about my DB example.
> >
> > Normal DB application has to place credentials dialog center
> > screen or center frame, depending when it shows.
> >
> > Otherwise they will popup all over the place wrecking havoc
> > with the users.
> >
> > And so its better to show it centered, just like in my example
> > above. And as I said - I hope you are inside this 99.99% of users/
> > developers.
> >

> And isn't that exactly where the WM would put it by default too? The
> difference is, if the user wishes it to be somewhere else *for all
> applications*, s/he can reconfigure the WM, but it's an absolute pain
> if all these kinds of apps have to be independently reconfigured. The
> obvious defaults are obvious to the creators of WMs even more than app
> developers, AND you're not forcing people into your personal
> preferences.

I don't know. Do you?
Are you absolutely sure 100% it will put it there?
Especially by default?

Now here is the more interesting question:
if I create such a dialog (meaning it will not be pulled from external
library) what will happen?
Can you guarantee that my dialog will be placed accordingly
and if I call "dlg.Center()" it won't be ignored?

Thank you.