Application window geometry specifier

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jan 13 20:48:44 EST 2021

On 14/01/21 1:58 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:53 AM Python <python at bladeshadow.org> wrote:
>>
>> I believe it is or was quite common
>> for large, integrated applications like DAWs, graphical design
>> software, etc. to remember where you placed your various floating
>> toolbars and add-ons

Not just large, integrated applications. If I open Intaglio
(a modestly sized drawing app) on my Mac right now, the palettes
are all where I left them last time.

> The results will differ based on whether the user in question has
> basically just one primary application (an IDE, or some gigantic app
> like Adobe PhotoShop) that they spend all their time in, or if they're
> using myriad different applications. Especially in the latter case, it
> is far FAR better to put control in the user's hands

I don't follow. If the app is just remembering where the user
put things, then it *is* putting control in the user's hands.

And I don't see what difference it makes how many different apps
they use. Leaving things where the user put them seems like a good
idea regardless.

Ideally, the OS or window manager would do the remembering, but
if it doesn't provide such a facility, I don't see any harm in
allowing the app to *request* (not force) a certain position for
a window.

The app can of course abuse that privilege, but that's the fault
of the app, not the feature.

--
Greg