Application window geometry specifier

Python python at bladeshadow.org
Wed Jan 13 19:50:58 EST 2021

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:07:23AM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:02 AM Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But for my dialogs (especially for dialogs where I need to ask for
> > credentials) - I don't think I want
> > WM to do my job.
> >
> > Again - we are talking positioning here and not size/client size.
> >

> And I don't think I want you to do the WM's job.
>
> You're welcome to keep going to great effort to do the wrong thing,
> but be aware that nobody will appreciate the work you're doing, and in
> fact are more likely to curse you for it. Just save yourself a LOT of
> hassle and let the WM do its job. It knows the user's wishes better
> than you do.

I think this is quite very, very far from true.  It's been a while
since I've used such tools, but I believe it is or was quite common
for large, integrated applications like DAWs, graphical design
software, etc. to remember where you placed your various floating
toolbars and add-ons (and even much more detailed state about how
you'd set the various widgets in them), and that users of such
applications expect that.

Obviously the software needs to be aware of, and compensate for, cases
when the available display can't draw the various widgets in visible
space on the desktop/canvas/whatever, but if the application wants to
do all that, it seems like a perfectly wonderful feature to me.  The
last thing I want to do is spend 15 minutes to relocate and reconfgure
UI elements to where and how I like them before I can even start
working on a media project (or whatever).