FridayFinking - Was: A beginning beginner's question about input, output and . . .

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Wed Jan 13 19:06:54 EST 2021

On 14/01/2021 04.54, Grimble wrote:
> On 11/01/2021 20:37, DonK wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm thinking about learning Python but I'm 74 years old and will
>> very likely not ever have a programming job again.

> At 83, I have no intention of having a programming job again! I last
> coded something professionally 45 years ago, but it hasn't lost its
> attraction.

Hey, some 'silver surfers' who have a few years on me!

Concerning the definition of "old"
- when I'm having a 'good day', it's anyone several years my senior (and
above)
- when I'm creaking and groaning, it's anyone remotely my age, and older.

Of course, many of my colleagues have fairly similar understandings -
for them anyone with the digit "3" (or greater) at the front of their
age, is not so much old (saying that would be rude!), but "ancient"!

That said, such young-bucks wrestling with cloud-concepts today, were
totally nonplussed when I told them how (mainframe) computer bureaux
used to work. The 'mechanics' may be different, but the management is
little-changed!

> I find this a fascinating news group - shame there's been no updates to
> Friday Finking recently!

With all due apologies!

I work(ed) with a particular team in a mentoring rôle, handling reviews,
walk-throughs, some design meetings, Python version-upgrades coaching,
etc. One of these was a 'morning tea' meeting, when we would
discuss/debate/argue 'Python best practice' topics, either raised by
members or that arose from other meetings but were best not discussed
there-and-then.

If there was an interesting topic, or one that 'we' hadn't really
settled satisfactorily within the group, I would try to re-frame the
discussion, and consult 'the oracles' here. So, that's the raison d'être
and motivation of the "Friday Finking" series..

Then along came COVID-19, and although this country's response was
amongst the best in the world, the team (and its routines) all-but
fell-apart. Firstly, we had to adjust to working remotely. The effort
that went into 'Friday Finking' was quickly absorbed into figuring-out
remote-techniques and maintaining the social component of the team's
success. Then a bunch of us were 'released to other duties' and
landed-in high-pressure projects to do with modelling pandemic
response-options. Various other interventions, life moved-on, etc, etc -
stories familiar to most, I'm sure.

So, thank you for the gentle reminder. Even though that team is still
not meeting as it once did, there's plenty of other 'inspiration', eg a
parallel discussion 'here' about the virtues of a programmer positioning
dialog(ue)s/windows or leaving it to the window manager...

I'll give it some thought - as long as Fridays keep coming!
--
Regards =dn