New Python implementation

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Mon Feb 15 17:43:07 EST 2021

Grant,

Haven't thought about Prolog in a LOOONG time but it had some wild twists on
how to specify a problem that might not be trivial to integrate with other
languages as our now seemingly censored person with much delusion of
grandeur suggests. It is a language that does not specify what to do but
more what rules an answer must abide by.

Perhaps he should go to work for the Star Trek Federation and improving
their Universal Translator that can learn any alien language in about two
sentences. I am sure he will tell us it would be trivial for him or her
along with other Fibbles he/she tells.

Am I the only one who found it amusing, back to Python, that a recent attack
on Python was about a fairly trivial problem to solve in most languages, let
alone Python. Toy language does not normally apply to a fairly mature
language, regularly extended to do many things in many ways, unless anything
not fully standardized is a toy. I consider many such to become toys as they
end up near the end of their lives and hard to extend further.

I think the question was as simple as how to find the first period in a
string (assuming it exists?) and replace it with an @ and not subsequent
ones. Not very challenging even using very basic commands in a computer
language. Computing 101?

Can you name any language where that is hard to do from scratch? Sure, many
will provide a ready-made function that does it in one line of code (or a
partial line) but most languages let you use something like a loop that lets
you look at one letter of a "string" variable at a time and perhaps copy it
to a new one. A logical variable can be set so you conditionally replace
just the first instance. Whether changed in place or in a copy, it seems
trivial.

So why snide comments that you need more than a toy language when this is
precisely what is doable even in a toy language, but so commonly done that
many better languages (and Python definitely is included) give you an
assortment of built-in functionality to make it easy, and then dozens of
other ways in modules you can load ...

Now there are fairly complex things that a user cannot easily build from
scratch or find a ready-made solution. There may well be say a PROLOG
program that is simple and elegant and very hard to solve using Python, let
alone a toy language.

To me, all languages are toys, albeit for different age/experience groups.