New Python implementation

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Sun Feb 14 04:15:47 EST 2021

Am 14.02.21 um 01:19 schrieb Chris Angelico:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM Mr Flibble
> <flibble at i42.removethisbit.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 13/02/2021 23:30, Igor Korot wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> But most importantly - what is the reason for this ?
>>> I mean - what problems the actual python compiler produce?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> I am creating neos as I need a performant scripting engine for my other major project "neoGFX" and I want to be able to support multiple popular scripting languages including Python.
>>

> Until you have actually produced a (mostly) compatible Python
> implementation, can you please stop making these repeated and baseless
> jabs at CPython's performance? You keep stating or hinting that
> CPython is somehow unnecessarily slow, but unless you have some code
> to back your claims, this is nothing but mudslinging.

This is a message to all commentators on this list: Mr Flibble is known
on comp.lang.c++ for making very confident claims and announcements of
the greatest software product since the invention of the wheel.

He is indeed a capable C++ programmer, but he frequently underestimates
the work needed for such big projects so that you can easily count them
as vaporware for now. For example, he created his own "cross-platform,
modern" GUI toolkit neoGFX[*] just because he thinks that QT is bad (it
uses non-standard C++). Of course, cross-platform for now means it runs
on Windows and anything else is far into the future, also the optical
design looks modern / OK right now, but will look outdated soon. There
is no evidence that any other designer will join the project to keep the
look up to date.

He wants that neoGFX is scriptable in Python, but instead of linking
with CPython, he will write his own Python implementation instead,
because CPython is slow/not clean/ whatever. He doesn't seem to
understand that this is an enormous task on its own, because the
interesting part of a scripting language is the standard library with
many decade-years of work.

So my advice is to waste your time in this discussion if you find it
entertaining, but don't expect to have a usable product soon.

Best regards,

               Christian

[*] https://github.com/i42output/neoGFX