New Python implementation

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 17:22:35 EST 2021

I may be the only one who does not deal well with a condescending attitude.

I have to wonder what international standards body ever completes a task in finite time, only to find the real world has moved on. Having standards can be a great idea. When the standard does not properly describe any implementations either because some leave out things and others have partial or enhanced implementations, then it is just a goal.

May I ask if the proposed product itself needs standardization? Since it claims to support many (or amusingly ANY) language fully, perhaps they can share their Ada or other version before they do Python, or are they working on all of them at once?

Realistically, many languages have chosen various paths and a model that captures them all will have to be fairly complex and perhaps needlessly complex. Does it need multiple ways to deal with issues like scope and perhaps keep track of that if a program crosses several boundaries? Will it be able to handle something like an R program running  a package that allows a parallel running of a Python program as they work jointly on the same or copied data structures? I have been writing those lately and in the future may incorporate additional languages to take advantage of the strengths and features of each while avoiding the weaknesses or missing aspects of another.

Anyone who considers the task specified to be a small problem is either brilliant or perhaps not well informed.

If they can do what they say well, great. But I have seen other such attempts such as finding a way to translate between word processor formats that try to deal with overlapping but different concepts and do imperfect translations. That may of course not be relevant here if what is produced is code that runs and yet follows the expected rules as if it was being interpreted.
But a more pleasant attitude may make the same points, not that I am sure what those are and what is being asked. It sounds more like being told.