Best practices for software architecture in Python

Henning Follmann hfollmann at itcfollmann.com
Thu Feb 11 08:54:11 EST 2021

On 2021-02-11, Oscar <jornws200602 at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> In article <slrns27jrh.1m0.hfollmann at helium.itcfollmann.com>,
> Henning Follmann  <hfollmann at itcfollmann.com> wrote:
>>On 2021-02-10, Python <python at python.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   If you had to train engineers who are used to write
>>> Python scripts for image processing, data format conversion,
>>> etc. (so they know most the basics of Python types and
>>> programming structures except advanced OOP techniques)
>>> who now are about to develop quite a big application
>>> in the same field (to get rid of some well known proprietary
>>> scientific software monoliths), and would like to study in-depth
>>> an existing open source application in order to study how
>>> to organize classes hierarchy, modules, packages, etc. which
>>> one would you recommend ?
>>>
>>> P.
>>
>>Looks like you (the project leader?) needs training, not the
>>software engineers.
>>
>>"Making Things Happen" by Scott Berkun
>
> This looks like a very interesting book to add to my reading list, but
> how do you think it will help the OP with his/her quest?

Well the question makes it very obvious that it is a leadership
issue. Does he really think giving all engineers the Gang of 4
book will magically lead to a well run OOP project.
It all but always is about the leader.
> Of course your answer might just as well be: read the book! But since
> you clearly did that already, what knowledge did you gain that triggered
> this response?
Well this book exemplifies how to brake down the task of
leadership in the context of software development.
For me this seems like a match.

-H

Henning Follmann           | hfollmann at itcfollmann.com