do ya still use python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 22 16:00:26 EDT 2021

On 4/21/2021 6:07 AM, o1bigtenor wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 6:26 PM Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/20/2021 4:32 AM, Alan Gauld via Python-list wrote:
>>
>>> We see the same trend on the tutor list, traffic has dropped off
>>> by a factor of 3-5 times what it was at its peak. And the questions
>>> are changing too, fewer basic things about loops and writing
>>> functions, more about specific library modules and such.
>>
>> I suspect that at least some such questions have good answers on
>> StackOverflow that questioners could profitably read first.
>>
> Respectfully - - - - I would disagree.
> I am finding when I'm looking for answers that the generalist sites
> most often cough up responses - - - - - yes there are responses
> - - - but those responses are for software of at best 5 to 6 years
> ago and all too often its for software of 15 + years ago.

Alan and I were specifically discussing questions about Python standard
library modules, which are currently maintained and mostly stable.  Many
beginner questions are likely to have useful answers tagged <python>,
<python3>, and sometimes something more specific.

Someone on the tutor list could even look on SO for the beginner and
perhaps answer with a link.  But that is for Alan, etc, to decide.  I
merely offered that as a suggestion.

--
Terry Jan Reedy