do ya still use python?

jkn jkn_gg at nicorp.f9.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 05:08:49 EDT 2021

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 7:11:41 AM UTC+1, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Jon Ribbens <jon+u... at unequivocal.eu> writes:
> > Why do you say that? The group seems quite lively to me (and no I'm
> > not counting spam etc).
> No there is a lot happening in the Python world that never gets
> mentioned here. Look at the 3.10 and 3.9.x release notes: many new
> language features that we'd never have heard of if we only got our news
> from here. These things would have been the topics of endless
> discussions back in the day. The newsgroup was once a good place to
> keep track of what was happening Python-wise, but it no longer is. This
> is sad.

I agree with Paul - sadly this Usenet forum is seriously less valuable
than it used to be. I have been a semi-lurker here for more than 20 years
(pre Python 1.5) and the S/N ration has massively changed since then.

This is as much a reflection of the reduced status of Usenet groups as in
the rise of Python and the associated change in 'demographic'. But as
another Usenet fan I find it disappointing.

You wouldn't see Tim Peters or even Guido here nowadays, and
Steven D'Aprano was IMO forced out for no good reason ... you see
the results here every day...

    J^n