do ya still use python?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 04:32:40 EDT 2021

On 20/04/2021 04:47, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> Actually, this list is less busy than it was a decade or two ago, but
> that's probably because of things like stackoverflow, python-dev, pypy-dev,
> cython-devel, python-ideas, distutils-sig, issue trackers, code-quality,
> and probably others.
>
> There was a time when most python-related discussion happened here on
> python-list/comp.lang.python.

It's also a reflection of Python's maturity in the market. It is no
longer a cute language that folks stumble across and need lots of
support to get up and running. There are all sorts of formal and
informal training routes available. People are far more likely
to have a buddy at work using Python that they can ask stuff.

We see the same trend on the tutor list, traffic has dropped off
by a factor of 3-5 times what it was at its peak. And the questions
are changing too, fewer basic things about loops and writing
functions, more about specific library modules and such. (That's
why I now have time to regularly read this list instead of
dipping in once or twice a month! :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site