requests-html 0.10.0 stopped rendering

nhpython jkexcel at comcast.net
Sat Sep 12 13:56:35 EDT 2020

> On 09/12/2020 11:28 AM nhpython <jkexcel at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> Windows 10 x64 Pro v10.0.19041.488 build 19041
> 2020-09 Cumulative Update for Win 10 Ver 2004 for x64 KB4571756
> 2020-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 & 4.8 for Win 10 Ver 2004 for x64 KB4576478
> requests-html 0.10.0
> pyppeteer 0.2.2
> python 3.7+
> requests 2.24
>
> I've been using requests-html 0.10.0 (with requests) for a little over a week and it has been working perfectly until yesterday after windows updates.
> The problem is that will not render.
> I verified that requests-html fetches the webpage and returns HTTP status_code 200, successful response.
> The rendering process, just hangs.
>
> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the modules to force the reinstallation of the chrome engine.
> requests-html
> pyppeteer
>
> And it still didn't render.
>
> Who knows where to post issues with requests-html?
>
> --

Despite not knowing where to post issues, I solved my own problem. Steps taken.

1. uninstalled module: requests-html
2. uninstalled module: pyppeteer
3. deleted DIR: C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\pyppeteer

Step 2 removed: C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\Lib\site-packages\pyppeteer
However it did not remove the existing chrome engine. To delete the Chrome Engine I had to delete its top folder.
Step 3 deleted the top folder which contained the chrome engine.
..... (C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\pyppeteer\pyppeteer\local-chromium\588429\chrome-win32\chrome.exe)

Then when I reinstalled the requests-html module, the deletion of .\Local\pyppeteer\ forced the download & reinstallation of the chrome engine. This action brought down a new copy of the chrome engine which now works perfectly.

Apparently, the new windows updates unregistered the former copy of chrome.exe and replacing it was necessary. However, simply uninstalling the pyppeteer module did not remove the version of chrome associated with it. I had to find its(.\588429\chrome-win32\chrome.exe) location and delete it manually before re-installing the module requests-html.