newbie

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Tue Sep 8 19:04:37 EDT 2020

On 08Sep2020 10:22, Don Edwards <doedau54 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Purchased the book python-basics-2020-05-18.pdf a few days ago.
>To direct my learning I have a project in mind as per below;

A project is an excellent way to learn something; personally I find it
hard to learn something without something to which to apply it.

>Just started learning python 3.8. At 76 I will be a bit slow but
>fortunately decades ago l learnt pascal.

Aye; I find Python has a very similar "heft" to Pascal - nicely English
language like "prose" syntax.

>I am not asking programming help
>just guidance toward package(s) I may need. My aim is to write a program
>that simulates croquet - 2 balls colliding with the strikers (cue) ball
>going into the hoop (pocket), not the target ball. I want to be able to
>move the balls around and draw trajectory lines to evaluate different
>positions. Is there a package for this or maybe one to draw and one to
>move? Any help much appreciated.

Python ships with a "tkinter" module which lets you define a GUI
interface. You probably want some kind of "canvas" or "image" widget
from within that to render your playing field diagrams/visualisations.

Someone else will have to speak to a nice geometry package for simple 3d
renders and lines/angles etc.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>