GUI: I am also looking for a nudge into the best (GUI) direction.

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Oct 31 19:42:14 EDT 2020

On 1/11/20 9:44 am, Barry Scott wrote:

> It does not appear to me that use native widgets is important for a tool kit.

It's not strictly necessary. However, recreating the exact appearance
and behaviour of native widgets is a lot of work, and difficult to do
well -- most toolkits that attempt this don't manage to get all the
details exactly right.

Moreover, a lot of maintenance effort is needed to keep up with
changes to the native widgets which frequently happen with OS updates.
And even if the toolkit is kept up to date, you need to install a
new version of the toolkit when changes occur.

On the other hand, if the toolkit wraps the platform's native widgets,
it gets all the correct appearance and behaviour, and automatically
tracks changes.

For these reasons I regard "uses native widgets" as a mark of quality
for a toolkit.

--
Greg