Best way to determine user's screensize?

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:44:23 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 6:24 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 10:17 AM flaskee via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> >

> > I'm closing in on the screen width/height, at least.
> >

> > In odd screen sizes or multi-monitor situations,
> > I make the best guess,
> > but allow the user to alter things,
> > via preferences.
> >
> > No complaints in 10 years.
> > So there's that.
> >

> Funny thing about complaints... you don't hear any from people who
> just uninstall your app and move right on with their lives.
>
> Multi-monitor situations are pretty common. Since you don't seem to
> care about them, I no longer care about your app. Whatever it is, I
> don't need it.

Exactly.
And since most of such setups are different DPIs it actually becomes more fun.

Especially since some applications tend to save and restore their positions
(not saying this is the case here, but...).

But windows positioning/layout never should be hardcoded and it should
depend on some kind of layout system. All cross-platform toolkit does it -
JAVA, wxWidgets, GTK, Qt.

And so from what I understand - the OP is just trying to re-invent the wheel.
All I can say is - every tool is different.And whatever was good 20 years ago,
today is completely obsolete.

Good luck to him.