GUI: I am also looking for a nudge into the best (GUI) direction.

flaskee flaskee at protonmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:54:33 EDT 2020

Hello!

I've been reading the GUI toolkit posts.

If anyone can give me a push in the right python direction on
my needs, I'd be grateful.

This is for business applications, not games.
(but if a game toolkit fits...)

I'm coming from Actionscript,
where there is a lot of GUI flexibility.

The Python toolkits that I've looked at feel mostly grid-oriented
or zone-oriented (you can put the button on the left, or middle,
or right, etc).

I am 100% committed to using Python now;
so I just want to see what toolkit(s)/pieces/frameworks
will get me as much of the following as possible.

What I'd like:

* To target MacOS, Windows, Linux, Android using native widgets (this drops out Kivy).

* To get the screen-size before loading anything else, and to resize controls & forms to have the same as aspect ratio across screen sizes. In actionscript you can say form.scale *= 1.5; and the form and ALL children resize appropriately with that one line.

* To resize a control/widget and be able to easily move it later. Needed for the following point.

* To handle portrait vs landscape rotation.
I'm okay on the logic of resizing and repositioning controls accordingly [if the facility to do so exists].

* Touch events, like swiping, pinch-to-resize, etc.

BeeWare (Toga) has some of this, but BeeWare seems "under-developed" and
it is not even listed on any of the Python GUI comparison sites
that I've seen.

I just don't want to go too far down the wrong path, if you good folks can help.

Right now I am plugging away on Gtk to see where that takes me.

Thank you for your help in advance!