Symlinks already present

none albert albert at cherry.
Wed Oct 28 09:21:27 EDT 2020

In article <mailman.879.1598986729.9580.python-list at python.org>,
Grant Edwards  <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2020-09-01, Richard Damon <Richard at Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> Remember, we are talking about a hypothetical OS that handles hardlinks
>> to directories, and defines that .. will point to the parent used to
>> come to it, NOT just having current *NIX allowing hardlinks to
>> directories with no remediation of the issues cause.
>
>I can testify from personal experience that SunOS 3/4 was in the
>latter category.  After creating a hard-link to a directory, things
>like fsck and the filesystem dump backup utility got very upset and
>confused.  IIRC the only way to recover was to nuke the involved
>inodes then let fsck try to pick up the pieces and put them in the
>lost+found. IIRC, I managed to recover without losing any files, but
>it wasn't a fun day.

It was a defect ("bug") in the SUNOS that this was possible.
So reread this thread.
"Let us imagine the situation that a severe, known defect was
reintroduced in linux, just for the fun of it."

>--
>Grant

Groetjes Albert
--
This is the first day of the end of your life.
It may not kill you, but it does make your weaker.