Help with the best practice to learn python

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Mon Oct 19 15:28:50 EDT 2020

On 20/10/2020 04:12, Azhar Ansari wrote:
> Hello Python Community,
> Kindly help me with the best practice to learn python.
> Lots of material over net but its very confusing.

You are so right - it is very confusing!

Different people have different preferences for 'the best way to learn'.
Also, we probably have widely-different reasons for wanting to learn
Python, and/or what we plan to do with such skills 'afterwards'*.

Some people are keen on the (apparent) brevity of a 'code camp' approach
- rapid learning under pressure, with a view to quickly acquiring the
skills which will (supposedly) justify a job application. It is
necessary though, to understand the difference between "job" and
"career". At the other end of the scale, one can study at a university
for three/four years.

Some take the simplistic approach of visiting YouTube's web-site and
'clicking on' anything that looks-likely. I recommend a more structured
approach that will 'cover the ground' in a logical learning-path, and
with consistency.

As well as the Python Tutorial (mentioned elsewhere), @Alan over on the
Python-Tutor discussion list*, also maintains something similar.

A good book or two will provide structure and coverage - again though,
many texts aim in a particular direction, eg Data Science, which may/not
suit your own interests/objectives.

I recommend on-line courses using reputable platforms such as Coursera
and edX*, which can be attempted for $free, or to gain certification,
paid. These are offered by various educational institutions and include
discussion lists to enable trainees to 'compare notes' and discuss
questions that will assist understanding (which a text book cannot do).

*
- most professionals understand that "continuing education" or
'continual learning' is a feature of this business - there's no such
thing as 'leaving school' knowing it all!
- the 'Tutor' list is an helpful environment for learners to ask
questions which might seem 'simple' to professionals and
skilled-practitioners: https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor
- I use the edX platform (for non-Python training)
--
Regards =dn