Problem

Mirko mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 00:52:56 EDT 2020

Am 03.10.2020 um 17:25 schrieb Dennis Lee Bieber:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 21:47:38 +0200, Hexamorph <hexamorph at gmx.net> declaimed
> the following:
>

>> - Add a folder named "Python.org <version>" (or similar) to the
>> desktop with shortcuts to Python, IDLE and the CHM.
>>
>> - Add a checkbox (default enabled) like "Start the IDLE Python
>> Editor/Shell" at the end of the installation procedure.
>>

> 	Which may only result in reinforcing the idea that one runs the
> installer to run Python.

Perhaps not if the installer says, that Python is already installed
and accessible per Startmenu and desktop icons. At some point they
will probably notice this hint. There are multiple reasons, why
beginners don't find out how to start Python. Some expect a
GUI-Application like an Editor in the Startmenu, some expect desktop
icons, some don't realize, that the installer is just that. They all
need a different change.

However, I'm out of this discussion now. With the exception of Terry
changing IDLE's menu entry, this has been a very unproductive
discussion. People where only highlighting possible drawbacks and
remaining problems (including the usual nitpicking on edge-cases)
without coming up with own ideas.

If you want to lessen the amount of those initial newcomer
questions, reconsider what was proposed:

- Rename the MSI as suggested by Eryk Sun.
- Add a folder named "Python.org <version>" (or similar) to the
desktop with shortcuts to Python, IDLE and the CHM.
- Add a checkbox (default enabled) like "Start the IDLE Python
Editor/Shell" at the end of the installation procedure.
- Perhaps, if possible, add a button like "Start the IDLE Python
Editor/Shell" to the Repair/Modify/Remove Dialog.

So long and happy hacking! :-)