Problem

Mirko mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:49:47 EDT 2020

Am 02.10.2020 um 11:58 schrieb Terry Reedy:
> On 10/1/2020 4:09 PM, Mirko via Python-list wrote:
>
>> Renaming "IDLE" to "Python IDE" (or similar) might also.
> "IDLE" intentionally echoes 'Idle', as in Eric Idle of Monty
> Python.  It stands for "Integrated Development and Learning
> Environment".  It is *a* Python IDE aimed especially at beginners
> (the 'Learning' part).  (I should probably revised the doc a bit.)
>
> Changing a name in use around the world, in books and web sites and
> discussion posts and a Stackoverflow tag ('python-idle') is a bad
> idea. And, as Chris said, implying that it is *the* Python IDE is
> not a good idea either.
>
> I think changing the start menu entry
> "IDLE (Python 3.9 64 bit)"
> to something more descriptive, as suggested by Mirko, *is* a good idea.
>
> The current longest entry under "Python 3.9" is
> "Python 3.9 Module Docs (64-bit)"
> So
> "IDLE Shell/Editor (3.9 64-bit)"
> would fit.  I opened a bpo issue with more discussion.
> https://bugs.python.org/issue41908
> Bpo users with an opinion should express it there.
>
> Terry Jan Reedy

(Sorry for the mail from the other wrong account again, need to
change that)

Thanks!

Sorry, I have been a bit unclear in my second post. I never meant to
rename IDLE itself. Only the entries in the Startmenu, the possible
desktop icons and such.

If I had a say in all this, I would do:

- Rename the MSI as suggested by Eryk Sun.

- Add a folder named "Python.org <version>" (or similar) to the
desktop with shortcuts to Python, IDLE and the CHM.

- Add a checkbox (default enabled) like "Start the IDLE Python
Editor/Shell" at the end of the installation procedure.

- Add a button like "Start the IDLE Python Editor/Shell" to the
Repair/Modify/Remove Dialog.

For all I know, the points 2 and 3 are very common with installation
procedures on Windows (and therefore likely expected by the users).

And no, this will not solve all problems. There will always be some
people who just don't get it. But I would be very surprised, if that
doesn't cut down the number of these beginner troubles by one or two
orders of magnitude.