Python 3.8.5 Not Launching

Gertjan Klein gklein at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 3 06:01:30 EDT 2020

Chris Angelico schreef:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 7:51 PM Gertjan Klein <gklein at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to determine, from within Python, whether Python
>> allocated or inherited the console? This could be useful to know in a
>> (global) error trap: to be able to see a traceback, the console must
>> remain open, which won't happen if Python allocated the console itself.
>
> It might be possible, but then there'd have to be lots of magic and
> the result would be a different set of complaints ("sometimes I get a
> black window, other times it just disappears").

That sounds a bit dismissive. Who would do that complaining? I would
like to be able to do this for scripts I write for myself. If these
scripts have something to tell me, they should make sure I get to see
that. If they don't, the console can disappear (if started from
explorer). I can do this with "input('Press enter when done')" easily;
however, if I start the script from a console window I get to press
enter too, needlessly.

> Instead of trying to
> detect and such, maybe there needs to be a standard recommendation for
> an atexit or something - advise people to "stick this line at the top
> of your program so the black window stays around". No magic, and
> completely consistent.

I specifically asked for the opposite of consistency.

Regards,
Gertjan.