Python 3.8.5 Not Launching

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 05:57:18 EDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 7:51 PM Gertjan Klein <gklein at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Eryk Sun wrote:
>
> > If .py files are associated with py.exe or python.exe, then running a
> > .py script either inherits or allocates a console and attaches to it.
>
> Is it possible to determine, from within Python, whether Python
> allocated or inherited the console? This could be useful to know in a
> (global) error trap: to be able to see a traceback, the console must
> remain open, which won't happen if Python allocated the console itself.

It might be possible, but then there'd have to be lots of magic and
the result would be a different set of complaints ("sometimes I get a
black window, other times it just disappears"). Instead of trying to
detect and such, maybe there needs to be a standard recommendation for
an atexit or something - advise people to "stick this line at the top
of your program so the black window stays around". No magic, and
completely consistent.

ChrisA