Error 0xc000007b on opening python

Mats Wichmann mats at python.org
Fri Oct 2 12:23:44 EDT 2020

On 10/2/20 4:15 AM, Nipur Gupta wrote:
> I've downloaded python 3.6.0 64 bits but whenever I try to open idle, it
> doesn't open and displays error 0xc000007b. I've tried everything from
> reinstalling to updating windows and visual c++ but it's still the same. I
> downloaded python earlier also it worked that time but opening after few
> days it showed this error, since then it's not working. I'm using windows
> 8.1 64 bit...Please help me in this regard

Something like this, when a program worked, and then stops working,
usually indicates some kind of corruption - or some change you made. Did
you install another version of Python later?  Try using Microsoft's
tools for validating and repairing the system and the image that backs
it up.  Beyond the scope of this list to describe that, but you can look
for articles that describe that. For example:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Are you able to open Python itself, or does it show the same issue?

You should not be using Python 3.6.0.  If you have something that tells
you you must use 3.6.0 (which probably is not a real requirement
anyway), then at the very least select the latest installer in the 3.6
series, which has all the released bugfixes - I believe that is 3.6.8.
That's unlikely to have an effect on your problem, but don't continue
trying to use 3.6.0.