Problem

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 2 05:58:57 EDT 2020

On 10/1/2020 4:09 PM, Mirko via Python-list wrote:

> Renaming "IDLE" to "Python IDE" (or similar) might also.
"IDLE" intentionally echoes 'Idle', as in Eric Idle of Monty Python.  It
stands for "Integrated Development and Learning Environment".  It is *a*
Python IDE aimed especially at beginners (the 'Learning' part).  (I
should probably revised the doc a bit.)

Changing a name in use around the world, in books and web sites and
discussion posts and a Stackoverflow tag ('python-idle') is a bad idea.
And, as Chris said, implying that it is *the* Python IDE is not a good
idea either.

I think changing the start menu entry
"IDLE (Python 3.9 64 bit)"
to something more descriptive, as suggested by Mirko, *is* a good idea.

The current longest entry under "Python 3.9" is
"Python 3.9 Module Docs (64-bit)"
So
"IDLE Shell/Editor (3.9 64-bit)"
would fit.  I opened a bpo issue with more discussion.
https://bugs.python.org/issue41908
Bpo users with an opinion should express it there.

Terry Jan Reedy