Problem

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 21:37:51 EDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 01, 2020 at 01:34:35AM -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

>	I'm pretty certain the Python.org downloads for Windows also put IDLE
>on the start menu. I believe these newcomers aren't even looking at the
>start menu for things -- if it isn't cluttering up the desktop they
>probably don't know it exists. And the only thing they know about is the
>file they downloaded.

Maybe this suggests the "incremental improvement" needed:  Have the
installer, by default, add a shortcut icon for IDLE to the user's desktop.
Perhaps this will get noticed.  If it does it would put the new user into a
program where they might actually start doing something useful.  The person who does
not want such a desktop shortcut can uncheck that default option.

--
Wishing you only the best,

boB Stepp