Problem

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 17:17:13 EDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 7:06 AM Hexamorph <hexamorph at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 01.10.2020 um 22:17 schrieb Chris Angelico:
>
> > Maybe those usability improvements have already been done.
>
> Haven't doubted that. Maybe they are just not enough yet.
>
> > Renaming Idle to "Python IDE" would be a very bad idea, since there
> > are many other Python IDEs.
>
> You missed the "(or similar)" addition. ;-)
>
> Call it "IDLE - Python IDE" or "Python Editor (IDLE)" or whatever.
> Something that gives the newcomer a better clue than "IDLE".

How about "IDLE (Python 3.8 32-bit)" in a submenu called "Python 3.8"?
Seems pretty good to me.

Calling something "Python IDE" or "Python Editor" isn't any better.
People will still be confused, and it's now become *less* clear what
it actually is. (Or more verbose, if you put all the different words
in. And that has its own problems.)

> > There is no simple foolproof solution. That's why people still get confused.
>
> That's what I mean. You dismiss suggestions on the grounds of "no
> simple foolproof solution" ie. a perfect solution. I'm not talking
> about solutions that will work in every case and solve all possible
> problems. I'm talking about incremental improvements which reduce
> some -- not remove all -- those troubles,

On the contrary, I'm not dismissing the solutions because they're not
perfect - I'm dismissing them because they're already done, and we
have proof that they don't solve the problem. You're suggesting
virtually the same things that are already the case. If they were to
offer any benefit, we already have it.

ChrisA