Problem

Hexamorph hexamorph at gmx.net
Thu Oct 1 17:04:59 EDT 2020

Am 01.10.2020 um 22:17 schrieb Chris Angelico:

> Maybe those usability improvements have already been done.

Haven't doubted that. Maybe they are just not enough yet.

> Renaming Idle to "Python IDE" would be a very bad idea, since there
> are many other Python IDEs.

You missed the "(or similar)" addition. ;-)

Call it "IDLE - Python IDE" or "Python Editor (IDLE)" or whatever.
Something that gives the newcomer a better clue than "IDLE".

> Starting something immediately after installation completes might
> help, but would probably just defer the issue to the *second* time
> someone wants something.

Probably not if they once have seen that there is some GUI editor
and can barely recall it was something like "IDE", "Python Editor"
or so. Again, will it help in *all* cases? No, but in some.

> There is no simple foolproof solution. That's why people still get confused.

That's what I mean. You dismiss suggestions on the grounds of "no
simple foolproof solution" ie. a perfect solution. I'm not talking
about solutions that will work in every case and solve all possible
problems. I'm talking about incremental improvements which reduce
some -- not remove all -- those troubles,

But again, I'm not the one who has to deal with all this. :-)