Strings: double versus single quotes

Manfred Lotz ml_news at posteo.de
Tue May 19 16:04:05 EDT 2020

On Tue, 19 May 2020 13:36:54 -0500
Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> On 2020-05-19 20:10, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I am asking myself if I should preferably use single or double
> > quotes for strings?
>
> I'd say your consistency matters more than which one you choose.
>
> According to a recent observation by Raymond H.
>
> """
>   Over time, the #python world has shown increasing preference
>   for double quotes:  "hello" versus 'hello'.
>
>   Perhaps, this is due to the persistent influence of JSON,
>   PyCharm, Black, and plain English.
>
>   In contrast, the interpreter itself prefers single quotes:
>
>   >>> "hello"
>   'hello'
> """
>
> https://twitter.com/raymondh/status/1259209765072154624
>
> I think the worst choice is to be haphazard in your usage with a
> hodgepodge of single/double quotes.
>
> I personally use habits from my C days:  double-quotes for everything
> except single characters for which I use a single-quote:
>
>   if 'e' in "hello":
>
> as in indicator that I'm using it as a single character rather than
> as a string.
>
> I don't have a firm rule for myself if a string contains
> double-quotes.  It doesn't happen often for me in a case where I
> couldn't use a triple-quoted string or that I am refering to it as a
> single character.
>
> -tkc

I am influenced by Perl which I used before. In Perl I used double
quoted strings when I wanted interpolation. Otherwise single quoted
strings. In Rust (or C) it is double quotes for strings and single
quotes for characters.

You may be right. Consistency is a good thing. So, I have to decide for
what I use and be consistent thereafter.

--
Manfred