Strings: double versus single quotes

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue May 19 14:36:54 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-19 20:10, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am asking myself if I should preferably use single or double
> quotes for strings?

I'd say your consistency matters more than which one you choose.

According to a recent observation by Raymond H.

"""
  Over time, the #python world has shown increasing preference
  for double quotes:  "hello" versus 'hello'.

  Perhaps, this is due to the persistent influence of JSON,
  PyCharm, Black, and plain English.

  In contrast, the interpreter itself prefers single quotes:

  >>> "hello"
  'hello'
"""

https://twitter.com/raymondh/status/1259209765072154624

I think the worst choice is to be haphazard in your usage with a
hodgepodge of single/double quotes.

I personally use habits from my C days:  double-quotes for everything
except single characters for which I use a single-quote:

  if 'e' in "hello":

as in indicator that I'm using it as a single character rather than
as a string.

I don't have a firm rule for myself if a string contains
double-quotes.  It doesn't happen often for me in a case where I
couldn't use a triple-quoted string or that I am refering to it as a
single character.

-tkc